Sunday, February 17, 2013

286. Pather Panchali

Pather Panchali
Song of the Little Road
1955
Directed by Satyajit Ray










Here's another movie that I highly doubt you have heard of.  I wouldn't recommend, though.  It is so depressing it gives Japanese cinema a run for its money.

This is the story of Apu, whose family is extremely poor.  His father tries to make enough money to support them, but never seems to succeed.  People die, family members are abused, and sobbing ensues, both from the characters and from me.

One thing I will say for this film is that it really is beautiful.  Each shot is so breathtaking that I think if it was in color my head would explode.  The acting is also great, which is something I would not have expected from a little boy and an extremely old lady.

Now for the flaws.  I feel like it is depressing just for the sake of being depressing.  Nothing good ever happens and while I suppose that could pass for realism, I just didn't take much out of it.  The lesson seemed to be that poor people's lives suck and then they die, which is a very unoriginal, unhelpful point.  Still, a beautiful film.

RATING: ***-- (got to give it that for the scenery)

Interesting Facts:

Time Magazine named it one of the best films of all time.  Woah, there.  Calm down.

Ran out of money halfway through filming, was loaned the rest by the government.

4 comments:

  1. Man, India is sooo depressive. Ray hit it exactly right here and it I had not inserted a few breaks I would probably have slashed my wrists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've rarely seen a film with such exceptional shot composition, particularly after dark when lighting becomes more important. For me though the story didn't carry enough of the load to stretch out a 125min film, but I can well see how it would have resonated more deeply in India at the time.

    ReplyDelete