Sunday, February 3, 2013

276. The Barefoot Contessa

The Barefoot Contessa
1954
Directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz










I watched this film a little while ago and still can't really decide if I liked it.  On the one hand, it was beautifully shot and Humphrey Bogart was entertaining.  On the other hand, I just don't like Ava Gardner and I found the parts of the  movie rather dull.

Humphrey Bogart plays a washed up director who is reduced to working for a businessman/asshole, played by Warren Stevens.  Stevens decides he wants to find a new star and discovers Ava Gardner, who is a free spirit (she walks in her bare feet!  She must be really deep!).  She makes it big but fame and money don't buy happiness.  This whole rags to riches to rags story is a common theme lately.

Like I said, I found parts of the movie quite dull but the ending is so exciting and unexpected that it made it all worth it.  Unfortunately, Hollywood tried to portray another culture in this film and that always ends in offensiveness and awkwardness.  Ava Gardner plays a Spanish women who seems like she can't really speak Spanish.

Worth it for the ending but definitely not a favorite.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

The character of Maria Vargas was based on Rita Hayworth.


5 comments:

  1. I am quite okay with Ava Gardner and Bogie. I am just not sure if I care that much for the story presented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to join in with the prevailing 'not as good as you'd expect it to be' consensus. I really didn't work for me, but not enough for me to dislike it enough to say No.
    3* Amanda? well, for me a little high..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps I was feeling generous that day. It rarely happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "What she's got, you couldn't spell. And what you've got, you used to have." - Ouch!

    Ava Gardner has a unique mystical quality, a dreamlike ability to appear as if from another world. I can't imagine any other actress from any other era carrying this role off. Without her, the film would be nothing.

    On the other hand, part of this manner is to be without relatable human emotions or actions. A different lead actress in a film adapted to a different style of direction may have made for the whole piece to be generally more engaging all round.

    ReplyDelete