Monday, February 11, 2013

282. Sansho Dayu

Sansho Dayu
Sansho The Bailiff
1954
Directed by Kenji Mizoguchi










In this entry of the book, the writer informed me that if I am not crying at the end of this movie, there is a hole in my soul.  Scarily enough, I did not cry, though it did make me sad.  I am not a huge crier; maybe three or four movies on the list have made me cry.  Anyway, I urge you to watch this film and take the soul test; maybe you won't fail like I did.

Japanese cinema is always rather depressing but it is so beautiful that I am always eager to watch it.  This story is no exception.  The story centers on a kind man who is sent into exile.  His wife and children then try to join him but for various reasons are separated.  Hilarity, surprisingly enough, does not ensue.

Like I said, this is a very beautiful film, albeit an intensely sad one.  I love how in Japanese movies you can have very depressing movies without seeming sentimental (here's looking at you Umberto D.).  My one complaint is that the action dragged on a bit slowly, but I suppose that was so you would become more invested in the characters, so all is forgiven.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Mizoguchi let the composer do the music alone.

The story was originally going to center on Sansho but ended up evolving into a story that followed Zushio's and Anju's characters.

5 comments:

  1. You're so right! They can be so profoundly sad and meaningful but not seem sappy. Maybe because they treat hardship as part of life and the characters send a message. It's not so much the individual level of "feel sorry for me" it's more what it means for humans everywhere. Does that make sense? Sorry for rambling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I love how in Japanese movies you can have very depressing movies without seeming sentimental"
    Very well said. That is what I always love about Japanese movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This wasn't my favourite of the Japanese films, but still quite good. I generally get a bit bored with some of them but by the end I'm wrapped up in it all, like they take a while to grow on me.

    Talking of the end, as the camera pans across the beach and the closing music fades in, I couldn't help but wonder/wish if we'd see the Statue of Liberty sticking out of the sand and Charlton Heston there shouting "Damn you all to hell!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is your favorite of the Japanese films?

      Delete