Sunday, February 3, 2013

275. A Star Is Born

A Star Is Born
1954
Directed by George Cukor












Judy Garland is such a weird actress.  Something about her has always unsettled me.  Maybe it is because The Wizard of Oz and Meet Me In St. Louis were so creepy or maybe the blackface she wore in Babes In Arms is still rather fresh in my memory.  Still, this is probably the best movie I have seen her in; it's almost like she was made for the role.

This movie is about a drunk actor who makes Judy Garland into a star.  He changes her, she thinks she can change him.  These things rarely end well.

So this was an interesting film albeit way too long, clocking in at three hours.  That is just way too long for a musical, especially when virtually every song sounds the same.  This is one of the first musicals I have seen on the list that has an actual deep plot.  You can see what is happening, but there is no stopping it.  It is especially poignant if you know Judy Garland's real life story.

Like I said, the songs aren't very original.  I have never been a huge fan of Garland's singing either; just way too low for me.  Still, worth a watch.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Judy Garland was hit so hard in the film when James Mason's character slapped her, that the whole side of her face was bruised.

Groucho Marx reportedly said that Judy Garland not winning an Oscar for her performance was the "biggest robbery since Brink's."


8 comments:

  1. I totally agree. This was way too long but it was kind of refreshing to have a sad ending to a musical rather than it being just a farce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it takes a lot for me to find something good in a musical.. but this was 'sort of not a musical'. Like Cabaret, it's a film with valid singing in it. And I'm totaly with Rachel on this.. a musical (or even a sort of musical) with a sad ending has to gain some cudos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's true. Maybe that's why I like Moulin Rouge so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with Ray on this one. The perfect integration of music into the story is a definite plus for me. I like this kind of jazzy music and having Mason on the cast saves any movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed on all points about Judy Garland. Wasn't it astonishing how much she looked like Liza Minelli in the Cabaret-style tap-dancing bit of Born in a Trunk? James Mason was excellent also, particularly the opening sequence where he rolls up drunk at the benefit show.

    I thought the songs were pretty good, actually. Especially 'The Man That Got Away'. Not the type of show tunes accompanied by a knockabout dance routine, but actually rather deeper and better than that. Which is possibly another way of agreeing with Ray about it being a film with music rather than a musical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's just Ray's way of avoiding saying he likes musicals!

      Delete