Sunday, February 3, 2013

278. Shichinin no Samurai

Shichinin no Samurai
The Seven Samurai
1954
Directed by Akira Kurosawa










I do not even know where to begin with this movie. It is one of my favorites and definitely my favorite action movie (sorry Die Hard).

This movie is about a village that is constantly attacked by bandits.  They decide to hire seven samurai to defend it. The motley crew that doesn't get along at first but gradually becomes a family is such a cliche now but this is truly the first instance of that.  Also, this is the first movie to have slow motion action sequences.  That was really random but I just get way too excited talking about this movie.

Ignoring the cinematic achievements, this is one of the most exciting, entertaining movies I have ever seen.  The film moves at a pretty fast pace, but the director still gives us time to development an attachment to each character so you actually care about the last battle.  I know as I type these words I am not doing the film justice, partly because I am getting burnt out (six posts in a row will do that to you), and partly because you just kind of have to go ahead and watch it for yourself to understand its magnificence.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

First use of the shot of the enemy coming into view as they crest a hilltop.

Considered to be the first modern action movie.

Kurosawa's ancestors were samurai.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't love this movie as much as you, but I agree that it's always exciting to see the first time something was done in film! Also I loved that thanks to the book I could recognize the actors from Ikiru and Rashomon. I love when I can tell the book is exposing me to things I wouldn't have otherwise seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reminding me about this movie-I had forgotten about it! I love that too.

      Delete
  2. I love this movie too, Amanda. I picked it as one of my top tem movies of the fifties and I would not be surprised if it would still be top ten when I complete the list.
    Who would have known that a black and white, Japanese historic movie could be this awesome and modern action movie?

    ReplyDelete