Tuesday, February 5, 2013

281. Carmen Jones

Carmen Jones
1954
Directed by Otto Preminger












Way back in 1920, I reviewed the film Within Our Gates which was the first movie that completely starred African Americans.  I really was not impressed with it; it was rather dull and I am pretty sure it was only on the list because it had that distinction.  Now 34 years later, we have this little underrated gem.

This is a gorgeous film with bright colors, great dance numbers, and beautiful people.  The story is based on the opera Carmen, only it takes place within the setting of a factory.  I have never actually seen an opera (Richard Gere has not taken me to one yet) but I knew the story and this was certainly an entertaining and clever adaptation.

I expected this to be another token film but was pleasantly surprised that it was brilliant and one of the best musicals I have seen in a long time.  I have to find more films with Dorothy Dainridge; she was delightful!

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Both main characters' singing was dubbed, even though they were both accomplished singers.

Average shot length was 36 seconds.

2 comments:

  1. So weird that they dubbed their voices. I mean this is Harry Belafonte and Dorothy Dandridge for crying out loud! MAybe they just wanted the right opera angle, but it is still a bloody shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kid Poncho was a much better boxer than Husky Miller. There's no way he would have lost that fight.

    ReplyDelete