Friday, February 15, 2013

283. Salt of the Earth

Salt of the Earth
1954
Directed by Herbert Biberman











This movie, according to my Netflix envelope, apparently holds the distinction of being the only movie in American history that was blacklisted.  So that in itself is pretty interesting.  Unfortunately, the rest of the film was not.

This is a communist propaganda film.  Anytime there's a propaganda film on this list, I am a bit wary.  The list makers most likely but the movie on the list because of its historical relevance rather than because the film is enjoyable.  Not to mention the fact that this film is largely composed of regular people, not actors, so the story is never really that convincing.

Basically, it is about a workers' strike in New Mexico.  I think the issues raised in the film (feminism, worker's rights, etc.) are extremely relevant. Still, it wasn't a fun watch.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

The film was developed in secret because the filmmakers were afraid of sabotage.

The movie was forbidden from being shot in Central, New Mexico.  Filming then moved to Silver City, New Mexico where they were told "get out of town or go out in black boxes."

2 comments:

  1. This is a case where the main story did not work, but the substories worked very well. The gender politics issues raised were far more interesting and developed than the labor issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please bear with me Amanda, it's been some time since I saw this. I agree with you on the general gist, such as '(It's) on the list because of its historical relevance' and that it is, in it's self, perhaps not the most entertaining film going.. But, it is one I remember, and I think fully deserves it's place on the list as as 'must see before you die' for it's social significance, which I feel makes it interesting.
    OK, I'm perhaps a tad more tolerant of historically important propaganda films than you are, but if for nothing more than it's inclusion got lots of people to view it and think on the points raised, I'd cheer it on.

    ReplyDelete