Friday, December 21, 2012

260. The Naked Spur

The Naked Spur
1953
Directed by Anthony Mann










By now on the list, we have seen at least 30 westerns.  So we have the same problem we did with film noir.  I enjoy the genres but they tend to blur together.  To stand out, the film has to be exceptional.  Unfortunately, this one wasn't.

That is not to say it is bad.  I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.  Jimmy Stewart is always a treat.  It was also fun seeing Janet Leigh in a movie other than Psycho.  And, of course, seeing the Rockies in Technicolor is pretty amazing. And I guess Jimmy Stewart's back story is a bit more interesting than usual, although I guess revealing that would count as a spoiler.

Still, you have to have some sort of hook or else it is just like every other western Hollywood makes.  And unfortunately, this film didn't have one.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Nominated for Best Screenplay.  Pretty weird for a western.

Millard Mitchell's last film before he died of lung cancer.

6 comments:

  1. AH, that's good .. I'm so glad someone else has made the point that sometimes even films you adore can blend in the memory banks.
    Generally I'd say I don't get westerns.. but there are exceptions, and once again I thank the book for opening my eyes to some good ones.
    There were .. what 2 or 3 Anthony Mann / Jimmy Stewart's in the book, plus a few more similar / from the same era.. all of which I enjoyed, but now struggle to separate. Is this the one where he is a bounty hunter? I guess it must be.. it isn't the one about a rifle (that one is easy to recall,, it's title gives us a clue..). Neither is it the one where the wedding gets interrupted.....

    Anyway, we get the point.

    I'm much more a Noir fan.. but I have to confess they are even more confusing. Especially the titles. Now then.. this film looks good.. "The dark city".. have I seen it.. or was it "The dark streets"? or "Street in the dark"?.. or "Streets of Darkness"? how about "The city at night".. or "Night in the city"? or "Dark city" or even "Dark city street"???
    Well it was the one where this guy sees a shooting and gets arrested...
    You know, it's the one with Dan Dureya and Gloria Graham in.. That should make it obvious which one I mean...
    Ahhhh...

    I've not said much about the film have I.. sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed out loud at your comments. These films definitely blend together which is one of the main reasons I started this blog.

      Delete
    2. I completely agree with both of you! In fact, I watched this movie (I am going chronologically) and when I went to check it off, I realized I had already seen it. Nothing stood out enough for me to remember it, and I'm sure that will remain a problem even though I have seen it twice now.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, with all these westerns they blend together very easily. I had to think a moment to remember this one and even then not that much stands out. I remember it as a pretty movie though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For such a great actor, James Stewart sure has been miscast in a lot of films (this, Winchester, Vertigo, Liberty Valance).

    Call me a cynical pragmatist, but why does he bury the body at the end? The guy was a killer so let's not mourn him or his right to a dignified burial too much. Stewart had been through a lot to claim his reward and bore no blame for the loss of his partners (however much it suited him). Why shouldn't he claim it to buy his land?

    And why was it called The Naked Spur?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To impress Janet Leigh I guess. I would do a lot more than bury a dead body to impress Janet Leigh. No answer on the Naked Spur title question.

      Delete