Saturday, December 15, 2012

256. From Here to Eternity

From Here to Eternity
1953
Directed by Fred Zinnemann










I saw this film quite awhile ago and am going off memory here, mostly because I have no desire to watch it again.  So freaking boring.

It seems like it has the potential to be great.  With names like Frank Sinatra, Burt Lancaster, Montgomery Clift, Deborah Kerr, and Donna Reed, you would think it wouldn't matter what was going on with that kind of eye candy.   You also have the very iconic beach scene and a great setting.  Yep, I thought it would be epic.  I was wrong.

And it is not just me who thinks so.  Even The Book seems to be semi apologetic, saying that the task was too big for the director to take on.

Another Best Picture Winner that is a total snore.  Watch it for the sheer iconic value but don't expect much entertainment.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Montgomery Clift could not box so they had to use an obvious stunt double.

Clift was actually drunk for scenes when his character is drinking.

The rumors that the Mafia got Frank Sinatra the part in this film are false.  Ava Gardner actually got him the role by talking to the studio head.

Deborah Kerr's performance enabled her to be cast in sexier roles from 1953 on.

The horizontal surf kiss was Burt Lancaster's idea.

7 comments:

  1. After a good agreement about 'Wages of fear'.. I beg to differ about this one.
    In my opinion.. a great film that .. yes.. occasionally .... bogs down with moralizing / preaching / self pity.. but on the whole... a strong contender for a great film.
    Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really thought you wouldn't like this one either since it was so preachy! I am not a big fan of war romances so there you go.

      Delete
  2. I actually liked this one. I have the impression that most people who do not like this movie do so because they think it is a war movie and it is far from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I knew of it prior to watching was the famous beach kiss, so this wasn't at all what I was expecting.

    I thought it was very good, all told. The noble stuff was all personal and much less patriotic than might have been expected from a Pearl Harbour setting just a few years after the war's end. (Although, these topics usually only become sacred years later at the hands of the following generation)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the beach kiss...how uncomfortable that must have been.

      Delete
    2. Ha, yes, I thought that too! The most romantic scene in cinema history and all I can think is how much sand is gushing up their noses?

      Delete