Wednesday, December 19, 2012

259. Le Salaire de la Peur

Le Salaire de la Peur
Wages of Fear
1953
Directed by Henri-Georges Clouzot










This film has definitely made it into my top 10 greatest films of all time list just by one viewing.  I was absolutely blown away (no pun intended).  I can't remember the last time I was so thoroughly engaged in a film.  I had never even heard of it before so once again, applause for The Book.

This movie is about two teams of men who are hired to drive two trucks full of nitroglycerin to an oil explosion (and if you have ever seen Lost, you know that one bump could blow you into bits).  It is about a 300 mile drive through very rocky, poorly made roads.  The truckers agree to this for two thousand dollars each and a chance to get out of a poor town.

First off, let's talk about the premise.  This movie makes Speed look like a relaxing yoga video.  I expected to fall asleep while watching this film last night and finish it this morning, but it is quite impossible to close your eyes while watching this movie.  Like I said before, one of the most engaging and entertaining films of all time.

That part is fun, but for me, the best part of the film was looking at the characters.   I just wrote an in-depth character analysis the deleted it.  I am keeping with my strict no spoiler policy.  However, I can safely say that watching four men in such an extraordinary situation is truly a pleasure.  I am still looking for the "Are you Jo, Luigi, Mario, or Bimba" personality quiz online.  No luck yet.

Anyway, probably the best thriller I have ever seen.  A truly unexpected gem.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

US censors made the filmmakers cut several "unAmerican" scenes.

Jean Gabin refused the role of Jo.  Damn, that is the only thing that could have made this better!

7 comments:

  1. Delving back into the past...
    A great film.. very gripping, very tense..
    Regrettably I had a cheap copy with awful subtitles.. Done is a very fuzzy white... Against a very prevalent white back ground (Mostly guys in white suits or at least jackets at mid length. I couldn't read the majority of them.
    Shame.. I could do with seeing a better quality copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, I hate it when a bad version of the film ruins a movie. It is really worth seeing a better copy.

      Delete
  2. I think I watched this one on a bad day. A poor copy and a boring 45 minute introduction of a scummy lot of characters threw me off. The rest of the move though, wow, that is super intense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think we can all agree that the first 45 minutes were kind of dull. They would never get away with that now.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear that TS.. I share the disappointment of a bad copy, but I still found the film shone through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I originally saw these thousand (and one!) films listed out, I always equated this with The Grapes of Wrath, as they both had similar and cool-sounding titles. When 'Wrath disappointed me, I then sub-consciously dismissed the prospect of this one too.

    As you say though, what a movie! I didn't mind the long lead-up. In fact, I'd say it was vital to establish the characters, including to emphasise those that change later on, and to give a sense of purpose to why they were willing to undertake this venture.

    Ending felt a bit tacked on though. And even if he hadn't been acting an arse on the narrow road, how was he going to get the truck around the tight turn where they'd destroyed the wooden platform?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the ending but you're right. I didn't love the beginning but I think it is important for the movie. If I was forcing someone to watch this with me though, I would feel the need to talk them through it..."It gets better...hang on...why are you running away from me?"

      Delete