Wednesday, September 21, 2011

58. Public Enemy

Public Enemy
1931

Here it is!  The movie you have seen a million times before!  I just watched Little Caesar so I am getting these two really mixed up since I had seen this one awhile ago.

This is essentially the same film.  Gang war.  Brazen man.  Drive by shootings.  Grapefruit (okay so maybe that one is not as common).  I think gangster movies age a lot worse than silent films do.  There is really not a lot of directions that a gangster movie can go so they usually all choose the same path.  I was actually really bored.

If I had watched this before Little Caesar it would probably have a more favorable review but since this was the same regurgitated plot, I cannot be too kind.  Of course, I am exaggerating a bit.  There are some a few differences, but come on.  Let's have some variety here.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

I bet I could tell you the plot of Goodfellas without having seen it.

Feminist groups protested on the brutality after seeing the grapefruit scene.

Louis Brooks was offered the female lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment