Monday, September 19, 2011

54. Tabu

Tabu
1931

And we are back to silents.  There will always be those reactionaries.  I have to say, it was a little bit of a jolt after watching sound pictures but remember?  I have a great appreciation for silent movies now...blahblahblah.

So this film is a tragic love story.  Two people fall in love, but alas it can never be.  There are actually very few title cards which can lend itself to bad acting.  We are safe from this, however, in Tabu.  It is filmed in a documentary style like Nanook (Flaherty actually worked on this project).  You don't know who Flaherty is?  Well, too bad because I forget his first name.  Robert?  Richard?

I liked it and I usually don't like the director, Murnau.  I think I mentioned I am a sucker for romance so this was right up my alley.  Again, watching movies from different perspectives has always interested me, and this was filmed in beautiful South Asia.  Of course, bits of it were kind of boring but it was worth it.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Sorry if I am choppy, I didn't have time to edit.  Lots to do, lots to do.

Murnau died in a car crash before this was released.

Censored to take out nudie pics.

Emmy's were hilarious!

Available on YouTube.  First part:

No comments:

Post a Comment