Thursday, November 26, 2015

637. Days of Heaven

Days of Heaven
1978
Directed by Terrence Malick


After such an insane high, we are back to a rather mediocre film.  I think we all liked Badlands, but I don't remember clamoring for a sequel.

In 1916, Bill, played by Richard Gere, kills his boss and decides to flee with his girlfriend Abby.  Well, no one ever praised Malick for his versatility.  Anyway, Bill and Abby pretend to be siblings for some vague reason.  Once a dying farmer falls in love with Abby, Bill encourages her to whore herself out to get the farmer's money.  The movie is narrated by Bill's actual sister.  I am surprised they didn't pretend to be a couple to make the whole thing even more confusing.

This is such a beautiful film, that it is hard to remember that there is not much there.  The plot barely makes any sense and all of the performances are incredibly wooden.  Just watch Badlands instead.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Christian Bale's favorite movie.  Not quite as pretentious as Pacino, but still.

6 comments:

  1. 'Mediocre' I think is a little extreme, but I see what you are driving at. Badlands is so magnificent, that I think the problem is more comparing a good film against a stunning film. We still get that magnificent 'magic hour' photography and an air of ..... sadness? Not quite the right word, but something like.
    4* seems a bit low, but it has to be because, sorry, it just isn't as good or captivating as Badlands.
    Where as I may not agree that "The plot barely makes any sense and all of the performances are incredibly wooden.", I'd certainly agree that given a certain amount of free time, I'd rather re-watch Badlands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of disagrees recently, especially on my music blog! I am going to have kissing ass...Don't you think it was weird that they pretended to be brother and sister for no reason?

      Delete
  2. Linda Manz was a cinematic miracle. Her voiceover drives the entire movie, and yet it turns out that it was unscripted. Malick simply replayed the movie and recorded her explaining what was going on in a variety of scenes.
    36 years on Days of Heaven’s visual resplendence and epic texture still reigns supreme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it is a pretty beautiful movie! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. The film looks AMAZING, in fact, MAYBE the best LOOKING film I've ever seen...definitely in the TOP 20. However, that's where the greatness ends. You're spot on here. Mediocre might even be an overstatement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you agree with me. I think you might have just stopped a riot!

      Delete