Sunday, November 15, 2015

630. Soldaat van Oranje

Soldaat van Oranje
Soldier of Orange
1977
Directed by Paul Verhoeven











I have a quick announcement before I get to my review!  Andrew, from From the Moon to the Grail, has asked me to be a weekly contributor to his blog.  If you click here, you can read his post which includes a segment from yours truly.  He even made me a logo, so he is quite a classy guy.  If you read my post there, you can hear me promote this blog!  It's like a vicious cycle of self absorption.  Join the fun!

I have been watching this movie in short increments for the last week or so.  I kept falling asleep, despite the fact that I found this to be quite an interesting film.  The story follows a group of Dutch students as they navigate their way through World War II.  I suppose our main guy is Erik, who fights alongside the Allied forces.

I was surprised by how exciting this movie was, which I suppose is my own prejudice.  I didn't exactly imagine Dutch war film from the 70s could be that interesting.  This is one of the few instances I can stomach being wrong.  Still, there is something about Paul Verhoeven that repulses me a bit.  There are always quite a few gross out moments in his films that seem unnecessarily disgusting.

Still, a definite improvement from Turkish Delight.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Based on a true story.


4 comments:

  1. Well I liked Turkish Delight and didn't like this, but glad you got SOMETHING out of it.

    Thanks for the plug! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, rather surprisingly, liked this one. For a Paul Verhoeven, I'd go further and say it was pretty good. I like to exploration as to why decent people make wrong decisions, then find themselves too deep in to back out, and end up justifying it to themselves. So that makes this a sort of Film Noir then???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew, that's weird that we felt so different about these two movies! Still have two Verhoeven movies to go. That's a good point Ray. Poor Robby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on this one Amanda .. much prefer this to 'Turks Fruit'.

    ReplyDelete