Saturday, November 7, 2015

629. The Hills Have Eyes

The Hills Have Eyes
1977
Directed by Wes Craven








All right, we all know how I am going to react to this.  There is another pretty upsetting rape scene that we have to sit through.  Would the movie really be that different if that was taken out?  I don't understand why it was necessary.  I guess I should just be grateful we didn't have to deal with Last House on the Left.

The Carter family is on a road trip, but their car crashes.  Of course, the hills that the Carters are traveling in are infested by cannibalistic rapists.  It's Craven subtlety that makes his early horror films so special.

There is nothing clever in this film.  It's simply shocking, disturbing act after shocking, disturbing act.  Unlike a movie like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I don't feel like there is any real need to see this if you are interested in the evolution of the horror genre.  Completely skippable.

RATING: -----

Interesting Facts:

Craven considered this to be an homage to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Craven originally wanted the baby to die, but the cast and crew threatened to walk if that happened.  Because, you know, that's going too far.

6 comments:

  1. Didn't care for this either. In fact, Craven in general was a big bust for me. I remember seeing Last House on the Left YEARS ago and HATING it.

    Agree again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to watch Last House on the Left in a film class and wanted to just leave. But the professor was hot...

      Delete
    2. Hot professors...they'll get you everytime

      Perusing Craven's filmography, just now, I don't think he has any really good movies, that I've seen....though, I'm going to go add Swamp Thing to my Netflix queue, cause I used to watch the show from time to time and now I wanna see the movie.

      Delete
    3. Let me know how it is! I've always loved Scream, but that's about it.

      Delete
  2. One of my all time favourite films .. I love the subtle humour that only accents the deep insight into the essential loneliness of the human condition. A true successor to Bergman, but with additional sharp feminist observation, Wes Craven uses delicate photography to ... Sorry, I cannot keep this up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You legitimately had me going for a second! That was even scarier than the film!

    ReplyDelete