Sunday, November 15, 2015

633. Five Deadly Venoms

Five Deadly Venoms
1978
Directed by Chang Cheh








Another kung fu movie that makes my shriveled heart leap with joy.  This is one of my guilty pleasures that I can't really defend against criticism.  Still, it is really fun for me and you give it a chance and mix this film with the right snackage, it could be fun for you too!

The master of the Poison Clan is dying and fears that his colleague is in danger because of his large fortune.  He enlists his pupil Yang to warn his colleague and discover the whereabouts of his former, potentially corrupted students (Centipede, Snake, Toad, Lizard, and Scorpion).   Each man has a distinct fighting style and weakness.  How fun is that?  It's pretty much a video game already.

I will say I found this film to be a bit more confusing than other marital arts movies.  Now that I have written that, it seems embarrassing because really, what is more simple than a kung fu movie plot?  I still had a great time with this one.  The fighting scenes were absolutely fascinating.

More, more, more!

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

The snake role was originally going to be played by a woman!  Ugh.  That would have been so cool.


7 comments:

  1. So exactly what is the right snackage here?

    I too was confused by this. Too many animals and too little time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chinese food and candy! I miss American candy...

      Delete
  2. Well, I think you know I find martial arts films a bit boring .. (whilst still being impressed by the dexterity and fitness displayed)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "This is one of my guilty pleasures..." What a nice thing to say about kung fu movies! And what the shriveled heart of yours concerns - it should leap for joy more often. There are a lot of great wuxia films out there with strong women (especially Brigitte Lin) to explore.

    Denes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can't help telling you, that unfortunately most english dubbed Asian movies are hard to tolerate for me. The French can do it, the Germans as well, but for some reason the Americans can't.

      In terms of recommendations it means if you watch Hong Kong movies in english, they are possibly not the same ones I saw. Forgive me, when I imply that you don't speak Cantonese or Mandarin. I certainly don't, so I choose rather the original version with subtitles.

      This said and since we don't live in a perfect world (where everybody speaks Chinese) here are a few, I liked:

      - The Bride with White Hair (1993)
      - The Legend of the Swordsman (1992)
      - A Chinese Ghost Story (1988)
      - Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)
      - Hero (2002)
      - House of Flying Daggers (2004)
      - The Grandmaster (2013)

      for shriveled hearts:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VStpGJXxXUM

      Delete
    2. I don't mind subtitles so this is perfect! Thanks!

      Delete