Wednesday, September 10, 2014

502. In the Year of the Pig

In the Year of the Pig
1969
Directed by Emile de Antonio

Here we have another documentary about something just as emotionally damaging as high school: the Vietnam War.

This film mostly consists of talking heads explaining the US involvement in the Vietnam Conflict.  I would like to think that I am well informed about the Vietnam War since I have studied Asian history all through college.  Still, I didn't recognize any of the people who were interviewed?  Were we supposed to?  If so, then I totally did...

I think at this point we all realize that the United States never should have become involved in Vietnam.     I say this because this film is heavily anti war so the impact of its message doesn't exactly pack the same punch anymore.  Still, it is a very informative documentary and one that I would definitely recommend to anyone interested in learning more about the war.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Met with a very hostile and negative reception.












2 comments:

  1. I found it interesting that rather than resorting to propaganda the film merely had to state the facts and quote what people had been saying. The talking heads are being rather factual and therefore so much more effectual. I can imagine this being a hard sell in 1969 but in retrospect it seems almost impartial. How can you not agree with the story told?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heavily laden with lessons, parallels and echoes from history which tie in with current events in Ukraine. Which, in turn, might reflect back on Vietnam and who were the good guys and the bad guys.

    Crucially, the film doesn't make the moral case, which is too easy to rebut anyway by anyone who happens to have a different point of view. It simply makes the logical argument for why this course cannot possibly end well.

    ReplyDelete