Saturday, September 22, 2012

206. Red River

Red River
1948
Directed by Howard Hawks









The entire genre of westerns is not made for women; in fact, all the women seem to either get killed or are just really stupid in these movies.  Or both (excepting True Grit of course).  While the sexism is a source of annoyance for me, I still really like westerns. And no, not just because Montgomery Clift is smoking hot.

Say what you want about John Wayne as a person; westerns just aren't as fun without him. This story centers on a daring cattle drive.  Clift is Wayne's adoptive son but soon begins to resent Wayne's slightly tyrannical ways.  Will Wayne let him get the better of him without a fight?  Guess!  Go on, guess!

It certainly is a fun story with all the elements of a great Western: gunfights, beautiful scenery, and a compelling story line.  Oh yeah and of course, the whole racism and sexism element…

Still, a pretty fun movie if you can get over the more upsetting elements.  Which is something you have to do for a lot of the 1001 movies.
RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

John Wayne and Montgomery Clift had radically different political views, but filming went smoothly since both agreed not to discuss politics.  They both hated each other anyway.

Said to be a western remake of Mutiny on the Bounty.

John Ireland and Montogomery Clift's conversation about revolvers was said to be a reference to Clift's homosexuality.

5 comments:

  1. Because I happened to be 'in the area' (because Rachel had me pop by to visit 'Notorious'), I thought why not call in for a nice cup of tea with my old friend John Wayne.

    Very reluctant and grudging agreement with on this one Amanda.. for all the reasons you give. normally .. can't stand John Wayne movies. Just re-read your own comments for the reason why .. all that macho tough guy posing..

    Someone's Idea of a great joke to pair him with Clift? - Who, also, I'd give a film about paint drying a chance if he was in.... Can you just imagine Wayne's reaction to having to work with 'One of them'? .. And as his son?

    I'm also not over keen on westerns. But.. one thing this journey through the 1001 taught me is that there ARE damn good films, that happen to be westerns out there, and I should not dismiss the genre wholesale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised John Wayne would even agree to work with Clift!

      Delete
  2. There was so much sexual tension between Cherry and Matt. SO MUCH. It was really fun to watch. I don't normally like Westerns so it added something I could be interested in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very much agree with you..
    Always good to see a comment from you Rachel.. As I've said before.. i really like how you ig out something from the past and make us think about something else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I agree. Sexual tension makes everything better.

    ReplyDelete