Monday, September 10, 2012

198. Out of The Past

Out of The Past
1947
Directed by Jacques Tourneur










Wow, this is getting tiring.  First of all, I have had to write about ten of these things in a row because I have seen so many.  Also, I am getting a bit tired of the formula.  I always feel like you really have to be in the mood for a good film noir, since they are all the same.  This time, I guess I wasn't in the mood.

Plot: every noir ever.  Fast talking, pretty femme fatales, threats, etc.  You are probably just as bored reading about them as I am writing about them.

Nothing new and certainly not the best we have seen.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Humphrey Bogart lobbied to play Jeff.



4 comments:

  1. Sorry this one didn't really click for you .. or perhaps .. reading between the lines here ... it did, you were just a bit burnt out with writing up at the time. Or simply, as you say .. Watchd at the wrong time in the wrong mood...
    For me one the the better and memorable Noirs... Lots of delicious slow burn atmosphere relying on despairing resignation rather than too many shootings or beating ups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with Ray here. This may be my favorite noir ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm voting for this one as well. If Robert Mitchum hadn't appeared to have picked up the suit of a guy two sizes bigger than him at the dry cleaners, it might have been perfect.

    ReplyDelete