Wednesday, September 19, 2012

205. Xiao Cheng Zhi Chun

Xiao Cheng Zhi Chun
Spring in a Small Town
1948
Directed by Mu Fei









So embarrassing confession time.  When I popped this movie in, I was texting this guy I have been pretty much in love with for a year now, but has a girlfriend (sad face).  Anyway, long story short, he said I was hot.  Now, this may not seem like a big deal to a normal person but after a year's work, I pretty much could not stop doing victory dances.  Consequently, I was not exactly, um, paying strict attention to the film.

My emotional immaturity aside, I did get the general gist of the film.  This is an odd one.  There is really no conflict and a lot of the problems are very cerebral; I felt like I was reading a Virginia Woolfe novel.  Now, this could have been really boring if it wasn't for the great acting and feeling put into the performances.

All right, so I didn't watch this film as attentively as I should have but I still know that this film was worth seeing.  Unless, of course, you are complimented by the object of your unrequited love in which case, it comes in second.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Often voted as best Chinese film ever made.

4 comments:

  1. You missed out not watching this closely! It was very well done, and the story was interesting, but there were subtle emotions that added to the film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never mind.. you were .. distracted. I'd respectfully suggest you give it another go... ut I know how it is.. I'm sure there have been more than one film I've unfairly dismissed to to lack of full attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man. Another post that I am somewhat embarrassed about. I would love to try this film again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely an interesting movie albeit somewhat foreign.

    ReplyDelete