Monday, July 2, 2012

168. Laura

Laura
1944
Directed by Otto Preminger and Rouben Mamoulian

I really should watch this again; it has been quite a few years.  So many movies, so little time...


This movie is about a tough as nails detective (Dana Andrews; previously in The Ox Bow Incident) as he tries to figure out what happened to Laura.  There are lots of interesting secondary characters in this film as well.  One man who is particularly fascinated with Laura is said to have been the first example of a man who wishes he was a woman in cinema.

Laura is one of those Nana-esque characters that all men automatically love the minute they see her.  In fact, I see a lot of myself in Laura (jk).  This is a fun whodunnit (though I would opt for The Thin Man series anytime) that perfectly encompasses the 40s era.



RATING: ****-


Interesting Facts:


Ranked #4 in AFI's top 10 mystery movies.

Laura's Theme was actually titled "Judy" in honor of Judy Garland.



3 comments:

  1. I have to watch this again! I forgot about this movie. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What on Earth happened to Dana Andrews? He was in a lot of movies of the forties, but disappeared in the fifties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I googled it because you got me curious. Apparently he got into real estate.

    ReplyDelete