Monday, July 2, 2012

166. Meet Me In St. Louis

Meet Me In St. Louis
1944
Directed by Vincente Minnelli

I saw this film awhile ago and I distinctly remember being vaguely creeped out.  Lo and behold, the book took the same dark stance I did.


This film is about a family who is being forced to move away to New York which means moving away from parties, boys, and other things girls are interested in.  This is a funny little film.  It, of course, has the bouncy musical numbers like "Trolley Song" but it also has some chilling scenes like during Halloween or when Tootie goes absolutely nuts.  Also, if you own The Book, look up the picture they have of this movie.  It is beyond creepy.


Judy Garland is always fun to watch, even in her worst films.  I personally like this movie despite its quirkiness.  Any film where the characters say they are "ginger peachy" is a movie for me.


RATING: ***--


Interesting Facts:


Minelli and Garland married after this film.  Thus Liza Minelli was born and could go on to make horrible movies.


A lighting man tried to kill Margaret O'Brien by dropping a spotlight on her head.  He was later admitted to a mental institution.  Okay...


8 comments:

  1. I have seen the scene with the Trolley song when playing the game Scene It. It's interesting you use the word "creepy" because I thought that song was creepy. I won't ever see this movie, but I always like reading your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this movie! It represented an overly-idealized message about the past, compensating for instability and scarcity in WWII with a nostalgic view of family life and abundance of food, color, costumes. So over the top, in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, many thanks to Rachel for making good use of the archive..
    And Amanda.. THANK YOU for raising the errrmm ....delicate topic of of that picture.. I had serious worries it was only my diseased mind that found that image .. somewhat.. unsettling. And kept doing so.. everytime i flipped through the book past that page I'd go What the?? and wonder how deliberate the picture editor was in selecting that - exact- frame, and giving it such prominence. Did they have a staff meeting (presumably all 'blokes') where they all sat about sniggering, egging each other on to put it in to see if they could get away with it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh.. the actual film?
    Judy Garland musical about little girls wanting to dress up in pretty pink frocks. Do I really have to put into words what I thought Amanda??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I responded to all your comments in depth and then accidentally deleted them. Now I feel everyone's anguish at leaving comments! Ray, I knew you would hate this since you are not a big fan of musicals. I did really love the Trolley Song. Sorry, Rachel, I can't get behind you on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear! What a shame.. I look forward to seeing yur replies as much (I hope) you look forward to seeing what people think of your postings..
    Now i reall.. REALLY need to move on.. each time I come back to this page I just get that deeply disturbing image...

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very divisive movie I suspect. I liked the music and I love the little girl. What I do not like is the gender politics and the total disregard these girls have for their father's work and life's realities. They come about as rather stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The music was good and you're right, they did seem stupid.

    ReplyDelete