Monday, July 2, 2012

165. Ossessione

Ossessione
Obsession
1943
Directed by Luchino Viscounti

This is one of those films that I feel is entirely unnecessary to put on the list.  The screenplay of this movies was completely stolen from The Postman Always Rings Twice.  Not only is this film a blatant piece of plagiarism, but The Postman Always Rings Twice is on the list in the near future.  Why do we need both?


For those of you don't know, this movie centers on a tramp who comes to live with a beautiful woman and her entirely unsympathetic husband.  She falls in love with him (it is hard to tell if he falls in love with her since this actor is completely devoid of emotion) and, as in all film noir movies, their love cannot be without murder.


The pacing is slow and the actors don't carry the intensity that Lana Turner and John Garfield.  Overall just a worse version of a future film; I have no idea why this would be considered essential viewing.

RATING: **---


Interesting Facts:



Kept off American screens until 1976 due to copyright issues.


Films negatives were destroyed by fascists.

3 comments:

  1. Well, Amanda, I have to disagree with you on this one. It was two years ahead of Postman rings twice so in terms of copying it was the other way round. I also think the Italian version is the better one. There is a lot more sexual tension and it feels deeper. I agree two versions of this story may be two much, but then I prefer this one to stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously it was the other way around as it was made first! God, what was I thinking? Also it's based on a book so it's not really plagiarism. I am just going to pretend my stupid evil twin wrote this post, Schamanda.

      Delete
    2. I was thinking the same thing - they're both based on the same book, so why is one dishonest plagiarism and not the other?

      Anyway, that misunderstanding overcome, I thought the tension here was great and both lead actors were terrific. Who knows, maybe when I've advanced as far as the US Postman it'll be even better and I'll think less of this one?

      Delete