Thursday, June 28, 2012

163. The Ox-Bow Incident

The Ox-Bow Incident
1943
Directed by William Wellman

Henry Fonda is one handsome man.  So handsome, in fact, that I was distracted in some scenes because of him.  I mean, look at this!
But I, ahem, digress.  This movie left an icky feeling in my stomach.  It is incredibly upsetting, which I suppose is the whole point in the message.  This film is about a lynch mob that accuses three passerbys of killing a man and stealing his cattle.  There is also a random love story that you think is going to be a major plot point but is only really mentioned in two scenes.

This movie does not make you feel good.  However, it carries a deep and lasting message.  I watched this with my family.  My dad and I got in an argument into what the message was about.  I figured it was supposed to be anti Nazi mob rule while my dad thought it had more to do with the lynching of African Americans in the south.  Either way, it makes you think but don't expect to feel great afterward.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Last film to be nominated for Best Picture without being nominated for any other awards.

Woody Allen described his marriage as The Ox-Bow Incident.

Very unusual film for the time since it featured an African American character who was the voice of conscience.

Made in 1941 but the studio was unsure how to market the film.




4 comments:

  1. This review is so true. This film was so upsetting, but I always respect when directors or filmmakers can make you feel something so effectively- it's why I like Darren Aronofsky so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad rachel keeps doing this...
    I've said before, one of the great things about this journey through the book was how it 'made me' watch films I wouldn't have done.. got me to discover that just because a film was a certain genre, it shouldn't be dismissed... and taught me that all westerns are not simplistic excuses to gun down people.
    Which I guess is a stretched metaphor for this film.. don't jump to conclusions...
    After your comment about it leaving an icky feeling.. please excuse me (or rather, don't mis-understand me) if I say I liked this one. Perhaps if I said I thought it was a great film instead..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a message movie, but I think your father was right. Or at least in general terms. Passing judgement is a serious thing and prejudice is such a poor basis for this. Lunch mobs is also a very poor idea, but too many people love to jump on the boat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I'm with Mr Sob on this one. If the film had been made 70yrs later I might think it a study of Twitter.

    One of the best films I've seen on the list thus far. I kept assuming that it was going to be like Henry in 12 Angry Men, as he convinces the jury to take the right line. But this had a different moral to tell.

    I'm not sure I'm really warming to Henry Fonda thus far. There's something over earnest and lacking in irony in all the roles I've seen him in.

    ReplyDelete