Tuesday, October 18, 2011

72. The Footlight Parade

The Footlight Parade
1933

There really isn't that much of a difference between this movie and the previous one.  Even Gold Diggers, my favorite of the set, isn't that different than these films.  Right now, it is just of blur of legs and wisecracks.

This film is superior to 42nd Street, despite their similarities.  The dialogue is a lot witter than the dullness of 42nd's.  I absolutely adore Joan Blondell.  She was an incredibly interesting lady, if you ever want to read about her.  She always comes across as a woman who can hold her own on any stage and she just happens to be beautiful.  Anyway, what is really important in these movies are the musical numbers.

There are three numbers at the end that have to be seen to be believed.  I love musicals.  By that I mean, watching musicals, of course, not starring in them; though I did rock the house as a lady of the court when I was in eighth grade.  Anyway, I think even people that don't particularly like musicals will be astounded by the magnitude of the end productions.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

John Garfield was rumored to be in one of the numbers but this was later disputed by Judy Garland.

The most stunning of the numbers, "By the Waterfall".

3 comments:

  1. My favorite Berkeley musical. Those three at the end are stunning. You are right, you really have to see them to believe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen one in awhile; I should rewatch this!

      Delete
  2. I watched this last night (finishing it this morning) and saw 42nd Street the night before. Or was it the other way around? Next up is Gold Diggers of 1933. Unless I watched that two nights ago. Maybe 42nd Street is next? I'm confused...

    ReplyDelete