Tuesday, February 23, 2021

1215. Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
1998
Directed by Guy Ritchie












After Time Regained, I thought I deserved something a little bit lighter, so I chose to watch what I think is the last remaining comedy on the List. I enjoyed this one, so it was nice way to say goodbye to laughter.

Long time friends Eddie, Tom, Soap, and Bacon put together £100,000 so that Eddie,  a card sharp, can buy into Hatchet Harry's high stakes poker game. Unfortunately, the game is rigged, and Eddie ends up in massive debt for £500,000. Wanting to keep all their appendages, the group comes up with a plan. Eddie overheard his neighbors planning to rob some local cannabis growers soon. The group decides they will rob the neighbors after they pull off the heist. Naturally, things don't go according to plan.

There were actually a lot of players to keep track of here, which was confusing at first, but ultimately rewarding. I really liked this movie. I thought the cast had great chemistry. All of the relationships were believable, and my crush on Jason Statham has not wavered. The dialogue was funny as well, and I was excited that it took place in London, a city I miss very much.

An unusual take on heist movie, and I definitely enjoyed it more than I thought I would. 

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Statham's film debut.

The word "fuck" is used 125 times.

Of the 44 speaking parts in the movie, 17 are played by people who have never acted before.

No comments:

Post a Comment