Thursday, February 11, 2021

1204. Anvil! The Story of Anvil

Anvil! The Story of Anvil
2008
Directed by Sacha Gervasi












I am shocked that I didn't listen to Metal on Metal when I was following the 1001 Album List, as that project was heavily dominated by metal music, much to my chagrin. I guess the 1001 Movie List was eager to fill in that gap. But I would much rather watch a documentary about a metal band than listen to their music. 

Anvil never achieved the same level as success as the bands they headlined with during the Super Rock festival in Japan in 1984, including Scorpions, Whitesnake, and Bon Jovi. The documentary follows their attempts to continue to perform and churn out music, despite their financial difficulties and disagreements between band members. 

I am actually in a bit of a hurry today, so I will just say that I enjoyed this documentary. I don't watch many music documentaries, but I like that the director had a genuine passion for the band he was following. Just don't expect the other Rob Reiner to make an appearance. I was disappointed by that.


RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Sacha Gervasi was once a roadie for Anvil.

No comments:

Post a Comment