Saturday, February 13, 2021

1206. Cache

Cache
Hidden
2005
Directed by Michael Haneke












This is the last Michael Haneke on the List, and probably his most accessible movie. I think I accidentally started with his hardest works. I also think there are more men named Michael on this List than there are women present. 

Anne and Georges Laurent, an affluent married couple, discover a videotape left on their property that shows hours of footage of their residence. At first they believe it is a practical joke, possibly involving their young son Pierrot. But then a second tape arrives, this time with a childlike drawing that would make me immediately pee my pants. Georges has a theory about who might be behind it all, but he's not willing to share his hunch with Anne, causing further strain in an already tense situation. 

I always avoid spoilers, but I don't mind saying the ending is ambiguous, which I really liked. I think there's an answer in there if you can find it, but if you're left as mystified as the characters, that's not such a bad thing either. I thought Georges was a fairly fascinating character. It was interesting watching when he was obstinate and when he crumbled.

I very much prefer this to White Ribbon, and I think Haneke would be disappointed in me for that.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

There is no music, except for the theme on George's show and the background music at Anne's publishing party.

Included in Roger Ebert's Great Movies List.

No comments:

Post a Comment