Friday, February 5, 2021

1198. La grande bellezza

La grande bellezza
The Great Beauty
2013
Directed by Paolo Sorrentino













I was intrigued by another Paolo Sorrentino film on this List, The Consequences of Love, but honestly, that movie feels much tamer in comparison to this. It was trying really hard to be something and I'm not quite sure what that is. I really should have been content with the one Sorrentino movie.

Jep Gambardella is a 65 year old journalist and theater critic, who can cut you down and pull off a suit jacket better than anybody else. He is the author of one book that he hates, and can't seem to find it himself to pen another. He mostly drifts through Roman parties with his superficial friends. Life eventually forces him and his friends to stop being so frivolous, but at least human misery is good for writer's block.

I realize that wasn't the best summary, but I had a hard time keeping track of everything going on here. The director seemed more interested in showing off than telling a coherent story. I think I would have been more fascinated by this character in literary format; I couldn't really get a good read of him here.

Not the most memorable films of late, but we've had worse.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

First cut of the movie was 183 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment