Thursday, February 18, 2021

1211. Diva

Diva
1981
Directed byJean-Jacques Beineix












My surgeon let me know that it is well documented phenomenon that nerve pain gets worse at night, although nobody knows why. So I try to take advantage of my non night pain time, and then when the Night Hurts arrive, I'll distract myself with a movie. This time the distraction movie was Diva, which I knew just from looking at the poster was going to be a cult classic. 

A young Parisian postman is obsessed with the opera. In particular, an opera singer named Cynthia Hawkins, an American soprano who has never allowed her voice to be recorded. Jules attends one of her recitals and surreptitiously makes a recording, and steals a gown from her dressing room. Some fan. Meanwhile, Jules also becomes involved in a prostitution and drug racket, after a desperate woman drops a damning cassette in his postbag moments before she is murdered. 

Most of the movies that were added/cut from my edition of the List are from the 2010s era, so it's interesting to go back a little further. I'm old movie starved, and I guess we are getting to the point where the 80s are considered really old. Or, at least, I must pretend they are to keep up my guise of youth.

I really enjoyed this movie, I thought the plot was exciting and the characters were intriguing. The idea of an opera singer who can't stand to hear herself sing sounds like a writing prompt, and I was just as fascinated by her as Jules was. I wouldn't steal her gown though.

It was also nice to see a French movie with a bit more color.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Wilhelmenia Fernandez did her own singing for the film.

Based on a book by Delacorta. 

No comments:

Post a Comment