Tuesday, August 20, 2013

376. Viridiana

Viridiana
1961
Directed by Luis Bunuel








Well, that was gross.

I just moved into my new place and instead of doing any traditional moving duties, I decided to pop this bad boy in and get some movie reviewing done.  And by "popping this bad boy in" I mean watch in a less than reputable website because I no longer get Netflix DVDs.

Unfortunately, less than reputable websites rarely have subtitles and this movie is in Spanish.  Now since I only know English and a made up language that sort of resembles French, I was sort of stuck with film.  I decided to just follow along with a plot synopsis and come up with my own ideas for what they were saying.  On a separate note, I would be a kick ass screenwriter.

Anyway, this is the story of a nun who goes to visit her uncle.  Her uncle takes her to be his deceased wife and some sick stuff goes down.  Eventually, the nun inherits his money and decides to spend the money on a charity that goes horribly, horribly wrong.

Luis Bunuel is a very strange guy who likes to fill our heads with pretty disgusting and disturbing images.  Now, if these images or ideas made me feel anything other than revulsion, I would be all for continuing to watch his movies. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

But I will give credit when credit is due.  This film is not boring in the slightest and I never had any idea what to expect.  Except when I read ahead on the Wikipedia page.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

The Vatican and Spain both denounced and banned the film.


2 comments:

  1. For Bunuel this actually makes sense and he gets to trample all those he loves to harass, especially the church.
    I did feel a bit sorry for the girl though. She does take a lot of beating.
    Watching this without subtitles sounds challenging. I could not do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be fun, but more fun when you're not alone.

      Delete