Sunday, August 11, 2013

373. Breakfast At Tiffany's

Breakfast At Tiffany's
1961
Directed by Blake Edwards











Earlier today I went skydiving and it has a been a bit difficult focusing on anything after jumping out of a airborne plane.  Anyway, I thought I would catch up on some reviews since I seem to be incapable of any other movement.

I have forced to watch this film many times in my life.  Usually, women in my life force me to watch it every once in awhile for reasons ranging from birthdays to getting stood up by crushes.  I really can't talk, though, because I am constantly forcing people I know to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  This is certainly an iconic movie that everyone should see at some point.  Let's proceed to rip it apart.

First of all, I have never been a huge Audrey Hepburn fan.  In my opinion, she just doesn't have that great of a screen presence.  I think a lot of people adore her for her gentleness and style but compared to other actresses, she just isn't as talented.  That being said, the "Moon River" scene is enchanting.  But don't even get me started on the Mickey Rooney scenes.  Yikes.

I read Breakfast at Tiffany's in high school and I have to say, the book was much better.  I think Holly's character translated better on paper than on screen: I found her really annoying at times in the movie.

Wow, I was harsher than I meant to be.  Actually, it is not a terrible movie, but it will never be one that I watch again and again.  Oh wait, I already have.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Marilyn Monroe was originally going to play the lead role but her publicist thought that playing a prostitute would be bad for her image.

Hepburn's black dress was sold for $807,000.

Get ready to fall in love:



7 comments:

  1. You know, I am kind of happy that you mentioned that Audrey Hepburn got on your nerves a little---I have to admit that she annoyed me just a touch in this movie. (I guess I should say that Holly got on my nerves a bit!) I have enjoyed some of her other movies much more. It was a sad movie in so many ways that it cannot be one of my favorites. Interesting review and congrats on jumping out of an airplane. Wow! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      And yes, I agree, I have enjoyed her other movies a lot more.

      Delete
  2. Thank you. Someone else who finds AH a little annoying. Let me correct that.. the characters she usually plays very annoying.
    (I will chose to ignore the one (I forget the title.. is it 'Wait untill dark?') where she is a blind woman threatened by an intruder.) I will take the 'standard' character she plays.. this one, the princess in roman holiday etc. The 'Look at me I'm pretty' I may not be much good at anything, but I'm pretty, and that means everyone has too look after me. (I bet an AH character has never been sky diving - but then I haven't either, so that sort of removes my right to be critical)
    And, as you say, the Micky Rooney Japanese upstairs. How, apart fro 1942-45, was that ever considered acceptable to be in a film? Mind you, I don't like Micky Rooney films either.
    (Yet another 'lets be fair' exception.. a neat little B grade Noir called 'Quicksand' where nice, pleasant motor mechanic gets caught in a rapidly escalating spiral of crime) Oh, and perhaps him as puck in Midsummer's night dream
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, we are really in sync, the only movie I have ever really enjoyed of Hepburn's was Wait Until Dark.
      I have never understood the appeal of Audrey. I feel like tons of teenage girls who haven't really seen a lot of movies before 1990 seem to idolize her and I am constantly seeing posters of her. She was never terrible but there are such better actresses out there!
      I will have to check out your suggestions; I love that play but have never seen a film adaptation of it!
      Haha yes I can't see her jumping out of a plane but she is infinitely classier than I am so she might win a coolness contest.

      Delete
  3. I totally adore Audrey Hepburn. I have had crush on her for years and I would defend her performance in any movie... except this one. Her character is just terribly annoying and even AH's inherent sweetness is not enough to overcome that problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the book and yeah, Hepburn is totally not Holly.

      Delete
  4. I have done a parachute jump. It's not clear to me whether Audrey Hepburn ever did, but her family did shelter a paratrooper in their cellar during the war and she apparently helped deliver food and supplies to others who landed there.

    I found this an odd film that maybe didn't know what it wanted to be. The source material, as I understand it, is quite dark and thoughtful; a prostitute and a rentboy lost in life and finding peace through each other. But it's directed by Blake Edwards so it's mainly a wacky comedy, Mickey Rooney and all. And in retrospect it's only noted for being whimsically stylish and elegant. Which of these three is the real Breakfast at Tiffany's?

    Icons are remembered long after acting talent

    ReplyDelete