Wednesday, January 30, 2013

273. Animal Farm

Animal Farm
1954
Directed by Joy Batchelor and John Halas










It is more than likely that you have read this novel; most high schools require it and it is so short that you can finish it in one sitting.  I haven't read it since tenth grade but I remember getting chills at the end and thoroughly enjoying it.  But this isn't a review of the book but a review of the rather unsettling animated adaptation.

This is is the story of how animals took over the farm from corrupt farmers.  Of course, it is really the story of the Russian revolution.  I vaguely recall having to make a chart in high school that equating each figure in this movie to a figure in the Revolution.  Anyway, it is a pretty obvious and effective comparison.

WIth an animated feature, I sort of expected cuddly animals and fairytale-esque scenery.  However, this movie is strictly for adults (apparently many people brought their kids to the theater and were horrified that they had).  The animation is actually quite good, though, proving once again that animated films can be enjoyed by adults as well.

I really liked this movie, mostly because I enjoyed the book and this is a pretty faithful adaptation.  The ending is a bit more dark in the novel and I would have liked if they had gone all out with the original ending.  Still, a good film and one that should be seen by fellow Orwell lovers.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Maurice Denhan did the voices of all the animals.

Much of the film's budget was provided by the CIA.




4 comments:

  1. Why haven't I ever seen this movie? I really liked the book and have read it a couple of times. I will definitely check it out after reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a dramatic difference between the first and second half of the movie. I watched the first half together with my son, but was happy thát he quit the movie for the second half. That part is brutal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was he bored by the first half? And thanks Diana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, he quite like it. I think it was just bedtime for small boys and by the time I was done with the second half I had decided that we should leave it at that.

      Delete