Thursday, January 10, 2013

267. Shane

Shane
1953
Directed by George Stevens












This is possibly one of the cheesiest films I have probably ever seen.  That is probably why it is so iconic.  And that is really the only reason you would watch this, to say you have and then move on.

So the acting is quite awful and the kid is so annoying.  I hate him even more than the Home Alone guy.  That is saying quite a lot.

And, of course, it is aimed more at children than adults, hence the cheesiness factor.  Overall, I can see why it has a place on the list but it still sucks.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Last film of Jean Arthur.

"Shane.  Shane!  Come back, Shane," is #47 in AFI's top 100 movie lines.

#45 in AFI's top 100 movies.  Come on.

7 comments:

  1. I absolutely hated this movie. It felt endless. I don't get the appeal! The woman was so annoying and over the top, the kid was a terrible actor, and I didn't like Shane, so I didn't get any of those cool moments when our hero shows he is so much better than the bad guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I wuldn't go as far as saying I 'hate' it.. (there are more deserving cases for that acolade), but I pretty much agree about the woman and the nausiating kid. On the plus side we get Elisha Cook Junior being his usual type of character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand why this movie is considered iconic, it is the defining movie about the legend of the frontier. I just it was not so annoying and, yes, cheesy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I think I must be the only person to think the kid is not annoying! I liked him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha yeah Ashley I think you're alone on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's yours Ashley,all yours. Take him..(Please)
    (But you should ignore me,I find most kids in movies irritating)

    ReplyDelete