Sunday, January 27, 2013

269. Johnny Guitar

Johnny Guitar
1954
Directed by Nicholas Ray










There has been a bit of a hiatus between this and the last post since I had not been successful in tracking down this movie until yesterday.  Rest assured, I have been watching just as many flicks as always and will be catching up with my posts soon.

This movie is very interesting if you are interested in the western genre; otherwise, it might seem slightly ridiculous.  Vienna (Joan Crawford) owns a saloon somewhere in the west.  The locals, led by an insane woman, believe she is associated with a gang of outlaws and attempt to kill her.  Wackiness ensues.

In a lot of ways, this western is pretty standard.  Bad guys wear black and good guys wear bright colors (see above revolting blouse).  The only difference here I suppose is the fact that the protagonist and antagonist are both women.  Of course, in a lot of ways it is still pretty sexist.  The fight is mostly over a man and men still end up having to save the day.

It also is a bold criticism of the McCarthy era with the policemen being little more than bloodthirsty wackjobs.

This is a pretty fascinating film; it's a pity that it is not more available.  I am not a big Joan Crawford fan, but I still enjoyed this movie a lot.  It is refreshing to see a western starring women.  However, I cannot get too excited over feminism in films because Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is up soon.  Yikes.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Intended for 3D viewing.

Crawford and McCambridge fought constantly off camera.  On night, Joan Crawford took all of McCambridge's clothes and scattered them along the highway.  The cast and crew had to pick them up.

At another point in filming, Crawford was so jealous of the attention McCambridge got for a scene that she broke into her dressing room and slashed all of McCambridge's clothes.  Psychopath.

6 comments:

  1. I would have liked this movie with a different cast...or if it was well done. The sexual tension would have been great. But everything was so over the top. It felt like after every line the person giving the speech would look around significantly. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I saw this I found it so baffling I disliked it. But then I went away, thought about it and came back and watched it again with a more open mind. In the way of NOT expecting a standard western.
    It is certainly weird. Striking.
    Yes, well worth the reassesment. Well worth it's place in any list. Lots to see - as in several layers of meanings and readings.

    All that stuff about Crawford.. The more you hear about her, more bonkers she comes out as.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Joan Crawford is a bit over the top. Also certifiable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tale of Joan Crawford's lunacy is endless. The quintessential prima donna.
    Despite Crawford I quite liked this movie. It is a different sort of western.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to be positive about all these films, but this did seem to be mild nonsense no matter how I thought about it. Is it on the list so we can fulfil our Joan Crawford quota? Nonetheless, I take Ray's point about seeing things differently second time around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think one Crawford (What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?) would have been enough.

    ReplyDelete