Wednesday, January 9, 2013

265. Viaggio in Italia

Viaggio in Italia
Voyage in Italy
Journey to Italy
1953
Directed by Roberto Rossellini










Before I get started with this review, I wanted to talk a little bit about a recent trip I took to Los Angeles.  I have been a movie buff since middle school so this has always been a huge bucket list item for me.  Also, if you are reading this blog, I would imagine you are quite the cinephile as well (or you just have really good taste in blogs).  The trip certainly wasn't cheap but it was absolutely incredible.  I was lucky enough to tour two studios (Paramount and CBS).  I got to see the alleyway where The Godfather: Part II was made, the bench from Forrest Gump, the motel from Sunset Boulevard, and a set from Bridesmaids.  In addition to that, I saw several sets from Seinfeld, alleyways from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and, most importantly the entire set from Parks and Recreation.  Well part of this is just me bragging, the other part is a recommendation.  I have been obsessively watching movies for as long as I can remember and being there where everything is created is just unbelievable.  It is totally worth the investment.  Here are some pictures:
Outside Grauman's Chinese Theater

Paramount Studios
The only studio left that films entirely out of Hollywood

Amy Poehler's Dressing Room
Yes, I am a total creeper
Even if you cannot afford the studio tours, it is a beautiful, warm city and plenty of things to do.

So that is my movie-related digression for today.  Now onto this stupid film.

This movie centers on a couple as they make their way to Italy to dispose of a property they just inherited. Their relationship is very strained and you can tell that they are heading for a divorce.

I have many issues with this film but since I have rambled on for so long, I will keep it short.  First off, the ending is not realistic in the slightest and made me upset, though I won't reveal why since this is a spoiler free environment.  The acting is merely okay; I find that Ingrid Bergman can be either fantastic to watch (Gaslight) or just kind of boring (here).  Just a very dull film; I have no idea why Rossellini gets all the praise he does.

RATING: *----

Interesting Facts:

#41 in BFI's top 100 movies of all time.

Bombed at the box office.

One of Martin Scorsese's favorite films.

2 comments:

  1. I love to visit movie sites as well. This one looks particularly good, though I hate tours in general. But I suppose they would not let you go around on your own.
    Viaggio in Italia did nothing for me. Absolutely nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some interesting glimmers in here and I sense that if I were to study it for a day at a film class then there might be much to learn. But, as it is, taking the film at face value, I'm not getting much out of this.

    ReplyDelete