Tuesday, January 1, 2013

264. Les Vacances de M. Hulot

Les Vacances de M. Hulot
M. Hulot's Holiday
1953
Directed by Jacques Tati









Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone.  One of my New Year's resolutions this year was to finish this blog.  This seemed perfectly reasonable in January.  One of the year's many failures…

But let's move forward with one of the worst movies I have seen. I have absolutely no idea what Jacques Tati was going for with this movie.  A large part of it was shot as if it was a silent movie, therefore utilizing silent film humor.  However, there are large speaking parts as well, which makes the silent parts just look stupid.  And to add insult to injury, they are all horrible actors.

The film has absolutely no plot.  That is not just me bitching, The Book even admits nothing happens.  However, The Book lists that as if it is an attribute of the movie.  The Book also has the audacity to compare the comedy to that of Buster Keaton!!!!!

Just awful and out of place.  Skip it.

RATING: -----

Interesting Facts:

Christopher Lee dubs the English version.


8 comments:

  1. I agree. I thought this movie was a huge waste of time. I didn't so much as smile. I just don't like the French sense of humour I think...It must be that because I love Keaton and it was kind of similar

    ReplyDelete
  2. A minor disagree. Whilst his stuff certainly doesn't have me falling about laughing, there are moments that arevery clever.. both as visual gags - but more so as sharp satirical observations. Those I like and admire. I will give that sometimes he overplays, just a little, but on the whole.. about a 6 to 7 out of 10.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I just prefer Keaton for clever visual gags. And that is understandable Rachel. I mean, they like Jerry Lewis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A major disagreement from me. This one worked very well for me and was a hint of what would come with Mon Oncle, one of my ten best films in the fifties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure I want to criticise this, exactly. The visual gags aren't bad, the near-silent style works well and it's well performed. But ultimately it's a precursor to Mr Bean and as a Brit I am obliged to find Mr Bean totally unfunny. Therefore, not my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's my excuse for not liking Mr. Bean?

      Delete
    2. No excuse required for not liking Mr Bean. It just means that you haven't had a lobotomy.

      Delete