Wednesday, August 29, 2012

190. The Killers

The Killers
1946
Directed by Robert Siodmak










I knew I was in for a treat as soon as the film started and someone asked "what's the idea?"  There is nothing quite as comforting to me as film noir lingo, whether someone is being threatened with a punch in the nose or people are referring to each other as "big boy".

Now, because I love film noir so much I really enjoyed this movie.  However, there is nothing really innovative about film noir; once you have seen one, you have seen them all.  It is interesting to see different cast pairings; for instance, this movie has Ava Gardner and Burt Lancaster as the leads.  Still, the plot is pretty standard and the outcome is unoriginal.

So have fun watching a classic example of film noir and the sexual chemistry between Burt and Ava.  Just don't expect innovation.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Burt Lancaster was the third choice to play Swede.

Ernest Hemingway loved the movie.



4 comments:

  1. Well, this may seem like standard noir because it is the quintessential noir on pat with Double Indemnity and Out of the Past. A big tick in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! Can't really recall it now

      Delete
  2. "If there's one thing in the world I hate, it's a double-crossing dame"
    That's noir for you, right there

    ReplyDelete