Saturday, August 25, 2012

188. La Belle et La Bete

La Belle et La Bete
Beauty and The Beast
1946
Directed by Jean Cocteau












No, unfortunately we are not talking about the Disney film, which is what I thought when I checked it off when I first got the book.  When I realized it was talking about the 1946 version of the film, I realized that I would have to live a lie with my false checkmark.  But today, the truth will be realized!

I tried my best to watch this without wishing that they would all break out into "Belle" during the opening scene.  Fortunately, I was rewarded because this is an amazing film in itself.

For those martians who do not know the story, I will give a brief summary.  Belle's father is kidnapped by beast so Belle sacrifices herself as a prisoner in his stead.  Belle then proceeds to suffer from both Stockholm syndrome and bestiality.

First off, you have to get over how hokey the Beast looks and focus more on the incredible acting.  I am surprised he is able to move in that costume let alone play a lovable beast.  The sets are absolutely beautiful but because this is a fairy tale movie, it suffers from flat characters and slight cheesiness.  Still, it is fun and sweet.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

After the Beast transformed into a human, Greta Garbo famously said "Give me back my Beast" because of Jean Marais phenomenal acting.

The stream the Beast tries to drink out of was actually a sewage runoff.  Ew.

Used reverse motion to achieve candle effect.



7 comments:

  1. The ending confused me a lot. Something about a maturity ritual she has to go through to accept that she is a woman or something like that. But the cinematography was really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen the Disney version? I liked this one better I think.

      Delete
  2. No, only in glimpses. It came out in a period where I did not care much for Disney movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watching this just a day after we commenced our Italian vs. French cinema duel, I couldn't help but chuckle. Oh, the witty words I composed to mock this stinker and chalk it up as an obvious point won for the Italians.

    But, you liked it? OK, it wasn't without artistic merit in places, it was great to see the MGM lion finally get more than just a cameo role in a film and I did like the ways his ears wiggled. But I'm not sure the acting deserves any credit beyond the way they tried to ignore the swans hissing and pecking at them by the pond (Note: never work with children or animals). "Oh, I'm so sad to be a beast! Oh, I bet you hate me because I'm a beast!" Get over yourself, sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen the recent live action Beauty and the Beast? I haven't, but I heard it was good. But yes, I will definitely admit this was a bit silly.

      Delete
    2. Have I seen the recent live-action Beauty and the Beast?

      Wild horses, Ma'am, wild horses...

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete