Friday, August 3, 2012

183. Brief Encounter

Brief Encounter
1946
Directed by David Lean
 
I recently saw the Noel Coward play, Private Lives, superbly performed at a charming little theater in the city.  The knowledge that this screenplay was written by Coward made me more eager to revisit this movie, having seen it several years ago.


This film is about a bored middle aged housewife who falls in love with a man that she knows she can never have.  There are theories that this was autobiographical, since homosexuality was not accepted when Noel Coward lived.  It must of been so hard to not be with the person he loved, and that pain I think is reflected in this movie.


For some reason I always enjoy movies where the character is unhappy with their current boring existence.  I have no idea why; perhaps it is because I can empathize.  I also like that the characters in this movie are not particularly glamorous or beautiful; they are just completely ordinary and relatable.  A really interesting film that deserves repeated viewings.

RATING: ****-



Interesting Facts:


The film was banned in Ireland for showing an adulterer in a positive light.


The scene when Alec tries to use his friend's apartment inspired Billy Wilder to write The Apartment.


Scenes had to be filmed at Canforth station to avoid air raids.

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this movie. I don't know if it will stand out in the long list of movies we have seen, but I kind of like that. It was just easy and enjoyable, when so many of these movies long and "important."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another from the vaults for us to relish...
    One I very much like and have seen several times.. and read up much about.
    Plus I have often been on Carnforth Station. (They have done up the tea room to look pretty much as the film, and tried to push it as a tourist destination)
    I can sort of see what people who don't like this one object to.. The terribly terribly stereotype buttoned up, stiff upper lip 'Britishness' of our lead characters.. and celia Johnston.s accent! Can you imagine the French making this film.. all that non sex?
    But.. there is so much to see in this.. so many layers that it just gets better every viewing.
    So glad that it is appreciated by you both!

    Repeat thanks to Rachel for her archive stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Rae, this has kind of faded from my memory. Still, I would love to visit that tea room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. At this point I am 335 movies down the list (1957) and this is by far the most romantic movie so far. Yes, the characters are normal adults that we can relate to and they have to deal with their reality, which is at odds with their wishes. This is what I totally love about this movie. Good call on this one. Envy you for having watched his plays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah you should definitely try to see one of his plays. Private Lives was brilliant.

      Delete