Monday, June 18, 2012

158. Fires Were Started

Fires Were Started (Or I Was A Fireman)
1943
Directed by Humphrey Jennings



That was actually pretty hilarious.  My sister and I just watched this and we legitimately could not understand a word they said.  They were speaking English but subtitles were not available.  Everything they said sounded vaguely like "mhdhdd...the fire...mdhdousoudh...river."  Actually, the best way I can describe it is they sounded exactly like Shy Ronnie:
I think it was just the sound quality but from what I gather from other websites, people seem to always run into this problem.  Anyway, from what I understand, fires were started and some firemen put them out.  So...yeah...

This movie was shot in a documentary-esque style and the "actors" were actually real firemen playing actors playing firemen??  I don't know if I am making sense; this movie left me very confused.

Anyway, skip it.  Better sound quality does not exist and I believe, sound or no sound, the story isn't worth it.

RATING: *----

Interesting Facts:

The fires were reconstructions.

Praised for its realism.


1 comment:

  1. Ha ha, this movie always takes some beating in reviews, by I actually liked it. The fires were pretty intense, but the scene that knocked my socks off was when the command center got bombed. The women there got some bandage on, brushed off the dust and back to work directing firemen. They were badass girls.

    ReplyDelete