Saturday, January 10, 2015

521. L'uccello dalle piume di cristallo

L'uccello dalle piume di cristallo
The Bird with the Crystal Plumage
1970
Directed by Dario Argento











As much as I enjoy some of the more artsy films on this list, it is great to every once in awhile just have a regular, tense thriller.  This was a fun murder mystery that I didn't have to think too hard about and after the week I had, this was heavily appreciated.

Sam, an American writer, witnesses the stabbing of a young woman, but is unable to reach her as he is trapped between two glass doors.  Sam and his girlfriend Giulia decide to try to track down the assailant, who is attacking young women left and right.

These kind of films are always entertaining but seldom well made.  However, some of the shots in this movie were just stunning, although I cannot give away my favorite one without spoiling the ending. These are the kind of gritty, Hitchcockian films that everyone can enjoy.  And yes, I was genuinely frightened by some parts of this movie.  Don't mock; my apartment gets very dark.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Directorial debut of Dario Argento.

The bird species in the film doesn't actually exist.


4 comments:

  1. Another surprise..
    If asked, I'd have thought a bit no for this..mainly due to the sexual violence..
    But wait, perhaps I've got that wrong.. i'm struggling to disentangle the two or three other Argento films I've seen. He has a propensity to get very dark, nasty and unpleasant at times. I am starting to think the one I most struggled with was 'Suspiria'.
    But, even that.. I felt there was something that kept me from switching them off.. certainly some good mood.. and I recall a VERY effective chilling sound track on one (again, I think it was Suspiria').
    So SORT OF glad I watched them, interesting .. and I at least know what a Dario Argento film looks like. If he warrants two in the list is perhaps debatable, and if I'd watch another.. I'm not sure.
    So another one I sort of agree with, but maybe a tad lower than you.

    And there you are Manuel, see, she likes some films, and says so, and most certainly deserves to be allowed to both watch them, and comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I want to watch this as I have never seen it. Good review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a lot of fun, no?
    Too bad the dubbing was horrendous on my copy, this could have been a top score from me as well.

    ReplyDelete