Sunday, April 1, 2012

142. The Lady Eve

The Lady Eve
1941
Directed by Preston Sturges
 
Wow, I have written a lot of these today and it is getting tiring.  Damn me for seeing so many 1941 movies.  Why 1941?


Anyway, thirties and forties romantic comedies are simply the best so there is really no explanation needed here for why I love this movie.  There is witty banter, misunderstandings, likable actors, and raunchy jokes: what more do you want?  This film is about Barbara Stanwyck trying to seduce Henry Fonda for his money but then she....FALLS IN LOVE WITH HIM?!?!?


Watch and enjoy; soon romantic comedies will become a joke (excepting When Harry Met Sally of course).


RATING: ****-


Interesting Facts:


The snake was going through hibernation season so she was sleeping a lot and shedding her skin.  She was not a happy camper.


Selected for the National Film Registry in 1994.

Trailer:


9 comments:

  1. Love this movie. The scene when she narrates every girl's attempt to make Henry Fonda notice is her is great! Ah, 40's romcoms...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know. I have watched that scene many times; it is listed as one of the greatest meet cutes of all time somewhere.

      Delete
  2. Barbara stanwyck was an asset to any movie she was in. You just have to love her although this is not my favorite. The story has some consistency issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been awhile seen I have seen this...what are the issues?

      Delete
  3. Frankly I do not remember. I should watch it again. That is a good excuse, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good enough for me. I'll watch it again too.

      Delete
  4. I was deciding whether to watch this tonight or read a book

    Shoulda read the book

    Still, Barbara Stanwyck was as great as ever

    ReplyDelete