Sunday, April 1, 2012

140. The Bank Dick

The Bank Dick
1940
Directed by Edward Cline

Sigh.


All right, so I saw this movie awhile ago and I have no wish to watch it again so my memory is a bit foggy on the plot (that is not cheating, I promise!).  Suffice to say, you will not crack a smile once.


This is the kind of pre Family Guy/ Simpsons comedy but minus the laughs.  Middle aged fat man just wants to drink but is constantly bothered by the wife (ugh, wives).  In this movie, W.C. Fields accidentally foils a robbery and bad jokes ensue.  I suspect that some people grew up watching these kinds of films and have fond memories.


I could talk longer about the plot or acting but the bottom line is: it was a comedy that wasn't funny so it has fundamentally failed.  Just like Adam Sandler in everything he does.

RATING: *----



Interesting Facts:


The director co directed some of Buster Keaton's short films.


Hehe, dick.


Random scene that will prove my point:

3 comments:

  1. Yup, a comedy that does not make you laugh is a crap comedy. I sat through an entire box set of W.C.Fields and that was one of the more idiotic things I ever did. It is just not funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I forgot about him. An entire box set? That must have been painful.

      Delete
  2. At one point W.C. Fields is hit on the head with a large loudhailer by his young daughter. Angry, he's about to react when the mother scolds him "The child's only playing with you, you fool". Fields drawls through his teeth "I don't understand her funny".

    Yup.

    ReplyDelete