Sunday, December 18, 2011

106. La Grande Illusion

La Grande Illusion
The Grand Illusion
1937

I have been on such a French kick lately.  I just finished Nana and am starting Les Miserables, I went out to a French restaurant (goat cheese!!!), and I watched this.  The restaurant led to one of those oh-that-was-so-good-let's-leave-oh-my-god-I-forgot-my-wallet-let's-make-a-run-for-it-or-ask-the-lady-next-to-us-for-money-yay-I-found-a-twenty-in-my-purse-and-we-have-a-groupon-but-not-enough-for-a-tip situations.  i am still enjoying my phase, though.


Anyway, this was a pretty decent film.  This was one of the first prison break movies (we 1001ers know that before this there was A Nous la Liberte or I Am a Fugitive From the Chain Gang).  This film is about two Frenchmen who struggle to break free from a German prison camp.  This was a pretty risky move considering Hitler was in his prime at the time.  In fact, this film was banned during World War II (it didn't help that a Jew was in the film).  It is very artsy; but what do you expect from a Jean Renoir film.  Check it out!

RATING: ****-



Interesting Facts:


Woody Allen's favorite movie.


First foreign language film to be nominated for Best Picture.


Trailer:

2 comments:

  1. Worth every penny. My favorite Renoir. Even Stroheim is good. A lot to think about too.

    ReplyDelete