Friday, November 25, 2016

1015. Inception

Inception
2010
Directed by Christopher Nolan








Before we begin talking about Inception (stalling?  I am not stalling!  I totally understand everything that happened in this movie!) I want to give a brief shout out to Alex, a new reader of the blog!  Alex has her own blog chronicling her journey through the 1001 movies.  Click here to check it out.  She has a funny writing style and can do what I cannot: criticize Grease.

Dom Cobb is a thief who is able to enter people's dreams and steal ideas and secrets from their subconscious.  Cobb is approached by Saito, a Japanese businessman, to do a seemingly impossible job: implant an idea into a competitor's heir's subconscious that will convince him to dissolve his father's company.  In return, Saito will use his influence to clear Cobb of murder charges.  And that is everything I can say for sure.

Well I suppose it is fairly obvious to say, but the special effects were incredible, considering the fact that Nolan used very little CGI.  I was annoyed at the beginning by how unreliable the storytelling was.  In the end, it really doesn't matter if what we are seeing is a dream or not.  This can be enjoyed strictly as a visual spectacle.

Of course, it can also be fun to examine it as a metaphor of filmmaking, but I will stop myself there before I get into too many spoilers.  Also, Leonardo DiCaprio wears a suit, so enough said.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

One of the top 50 highest grossing films of all time.

Working title was Oliver's Arrow.




5 comments:

  1. I didn't think this was as good nor as complicated as it was made out to be at the time, but it was still reasonably good.

    I thought I had the surprise ending all worked out, which in a way I did, but it was too clever to be as obvious as "Ha, surprised you!" which I liked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for the link! I will try to do the same in my blog. I am so sorry you had to read my Grease's comment! I know it means a lot for a lot of people but maybe I was in a different generation... Just wait for Titanic ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow 1001 films in 1001 days! That will be an impressive feat!! :D

    Anyway, Inception...I think I agree totally with Dessie on this one

    Also I thought Marion Cotillard was great in it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you will be there if I succeed. So far I've spent nearly 2 years with this and my mental health has not been affected...much.

      Delete
    2. Dessie: I thought it was super complicated so you are obviously smarter than me.
      Alex: Different generation? Hmmm, how old do you think I am?
      Ashely: Agreed about Marion Cotillard; she is great in everything.

      Delete