Wednesday, December 23, 2015

647. Breaking Away

Breaking Away
1979
Directed by Peter Yates









A coming of age, sports movie!  I went in knowing that I would hate it, which probably wasn't the fairest strategy.  But honestly, I felt as though I was watching a cheesy sitcom that just wouldn't end.

Four recent high school graduates are uncertain what they want to do with the rest of their lives.  Weirdly enough, the most interesting one is obsessed with biking and Italian culture.  He meets a girl and pretends to be Italian in order to get her to like him.  Because, you know.  Movie logic.

This movie is incredibly cliche, but I can't honestly say that is why I disliked it so much, as there are plenty of cliche films I enjoy.  I just found the characters to be exceedingly dull.  They all seemed to have only one or two traits and any bad traits were erased by the end of the movie.  Also, I will always hate sports movies, so there is really no wiggle room there.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

The actual term for the Bloomington townies was stoners, but the filmmakers changed it to cutters to avoid some, um, misunderstandings.

No comments:

Post a Comment