Wednesday, December 16, 2015

643. Real Life

Real Life
1979
Directed by Albert Brooks









Apparently, this is a spoof of a 1973 documentary titled "An American Family."  Seriously?  Comedies already age pretty poorly; do we have to add this element too?  Well, this certainly wasn't as bad as it could have been, mostly due to Albert Brooks.

A documentary filmmaker chooses the Yeagers as a family as the center of his movie.  He plans to film their every waking moment.  Of course, hijinks ensue.

I am a big fan of mockumentaries.  I have really enjoyed The Office, Parks and Recreation, and Modern Family.  Unfortunately, all these shows tank in quality over time.  What is it about that medium that is unsustainable?  I guess they run out of ideas that are realistic, thus rendering the format rather useless.  What am I talking about again?  Oh right.  It was interesting to see one of the first examples of this medium.

I usually am pretty harsh with comedies, but I am going to give this one a break.  I really enjoyed Brooks.  This movie wasn't desperately begging for laughs like some of the previous comedies we have seen on The List.  You can enjoy it whether you laugh or not.  Worth a watch.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Based on the "original Real World."  But really who watches reality television? I do.  I do a lot.


No comments:

Post a Comment