Wednesday, August 5, 2015

571. The Exorcist

The Exorcist
1973
Directed by William Friedkin









For someone who claims they love horror movies, I sure do bitch about them a lot.  I did like this movie and I promise not to nitpick too much.  Still, I am not a huge fan of exorcism movies, simply because I'm an atheist, and the devil doesn't exactly scare me.  A girl coming down the stairs doing the spider walk hits a little bit closer to home.

I am not even going to summarize the opening sequence, because who the hell knows what was going on there?  However, in Georgetown a single actress lives with her young daughter, Regan.  Regan begins to act even weirder than girls that age already act.  Her mom consults several physicians and finally decides to turn the matter over to a couple of Catholic priests.

I am sure very few people still find this frightening since the special effects have become a bit dated (although my mom refuses to watch this because of her Catholic upbringing).  Still, it's an exciting movie that still provides some chills.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

The projectile vomit misfired and accidentally hit actor Jason Miller in the face.  His look of disgust is real.  If I had a nickel for every time that happened.

First horror movie to be nominated for Best Picture.

Supposedly based on a true story.


4 comments:

  1. .. that you had a nickle for everytime you projectile vomited into someones face?
    Do that a lot do you?? .. err sort of rethinking the invite!
    Well, pretty much agree with you on that .. more than a bit yucky at times .. but at least no-one was chainsawed, and it didn't seem too gratuitious.. Again, strong on the atmoshere..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't watch this because, like your mom, I had a Catholic upbringing and the nuns scared me with devil threats. However, I know it's a classic. Maybe someday I will watch it....Good review as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should definitely check it out.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, I suppose religious people would get a lot more out of this.
    What I was surprised to note was how well put together the movie is. How this is not just some scary stuff but a truly interesting movie with real, developed characters. Not you standard horror fare.
    I liked it a lot more than I expected to.

    ReplyDelete