Thursday, July 23, 2015

565. The Long Goodbye

The Long Goodbye
1973
Directed by Robert Altman








Phillip Marlowe keeps showing up on The List, first with Dick Powell and then with Humphrey Bogart.  He also appears frequently on the 1001 Book List.  Personally, I prefer private detectives with a bit more personality, like Nick Charles.  At least he is a friendlier alcoholic.

Phillip Marlowe is asked by his friend Terry to drive him to Mexico.  It turns out that Terry's wife has been murdered.  Whoopsies.  Terry commits suicide in Mexico and as far as the police are concerned, the case is closed.  Marlowe believes there is more to the story.

I was a little bit uncomfortable with this movie.  It was a noir, but it was in color.  The novel is set in the 1940s, but the movie takes place in 1970s Hollywood.  But everyone stills acts like they would in a 40s movie.  Perhaps I am just being an old geeze.  Actually, I know I am being an old geeze.  Still, it hampered my enjoyment of the film.

Elliot Gould is a great actor, but I still prefer Powell or Bogart to Jack Gellar.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

The fingerprint scene was improvised.

One of the earliest roles of Arnold Schwarzenegger's.

3 comments:

  1. I agree... mostly.
    It's an OK film .. well worth watching as 'an interesting twist' on the concept .. Great too see 'real Noir' stalwart Sterling Hayden crop up as 'Honestly lawyers, it's not Ernest Hemmingway' .. but when it comes down to it .. if I thought I wanted to rewatch, I'd much rather watch a 'real' Marlowe. I'd give it a bit more than you do.. but pretty much accept your point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, I loved this version of P Marlowe. I loved how he is a forties character transported into the seventies, wondering what in Earth happened. Maybe the plot is not Chandlers best, but I loved the execution.

    ReplyDelete